At Woods Lonergan, we offer a zealous, strategic, and cost-effective approach to real estate litigation that will allow you to resolve your disputes, with a minimum of difficulty and expense. We represent our clients’ interests in a variety of real estate disputes, including contract disputes, commercial and residential landlord-tenant litigation, construction and construction defect disputes, easement disputes, disputes between unit owners and co-op and condo boards, mortgage foreclosures, nuisance actions, sales contract disputes, and brokerage commission claims.
At Woods Lonergan, PLLC, we are highly experienced in prosecuting and defending real estate litigation arising from all types of disputes. We regularly represent buyers and sellers, owners and developers, landlords and tenants, as well as real estate professionals involved in residential and commercial projects.
While many real estate disputes can be effectively resolved through negotiation, our real estate law attorneys are fully prepared to protect your interests in the courtroom. Contact our office today so we can start working on your case. In real estate, timing is critical.
The Experienced Choice in New York City Real Estate Litigation
Our firm regularly handles a wide range of residential and commercial litigation matters including but not limited to:
- Quiet Title — An action to quiet title is a lawsuit filed to establish ownership of real property when there are potential conflicts between multiple parties who have some claim or interest in a property. By establishing a clear owner to the property, it is possible to “quiet” claims arising from unclear or defective transfers of the property in the past.
- Foreclosures — We represent lenders in foreclosure proceedings, work to resolve disputes related to loan agreements, and also advise property owners facing default on their options such as loan workouts and short sales.
- Partition Actions — When real property is jointly owned and the owners cannot agree on its disposition, one of the parties can file a partition action seeking a court order to divide the property into multiple parcels. Our attorneys will work to protect your interests and your share in the property, whether through negotiation or litigation.
- Landlord-Tenant Disputes — Our real estate litigation attorneys represent both sides in all types of landlord-tenant disputes, including termination and eviction, lease terms, health and safety standards, security deposit limits and returns, landlord access to rental property, as well as fair housing rights and discrimination.
- Fraudulent Conveyance — Fraudulent conveyance, or fraudulent transfer, occurs when an individual intentionally transfers real property to another with the intent to defraud, hinder, or delay a creditor’s ability to collect on a debt and typically arises in the context of a bankruptcy filing.
- Easement Disputes – Easement disputes can arise between property owners and local governments, utility or other service providers, and neighbors over the validity or scope of an easement, its boundaries, and attending issues. Common easement issues involve fences, nuisance, variable uses, and public access or rights-of-way.
- Title Defects and Insurance Litigation — We represent buyers and sellers in title claims arising from all types of defects, such as liens against the property (e.g., mechanic’s lien), tax levies, and undisclosed easements or other clouds on title.
- Land Use and Zoning Disputes — Our attorneys have a proven history of successfully litigating land use and zoning issues on behalf of both zoning applicants and local governments in federal, state, and local courts, and before administrative tribunals.
- Breach of Contract — When a party to a purchase and sale agreement fails to close or otherwise breaches the contract, the other party can pursue litigation seeking legal remedies such as monetary damages or specific performance.
- Breach of Warranty – Typically, sellers who put their property on the market provide a guarantee that they possess clear title to that property. A seller who cannot convey clear title to a buyer can be sued for breach of warranty.
At Woods Lonergan PLLC, our real estate litigation attorneys work with clients to find innovative solutions to disputes. We leverage our knowledge of the applicable real property laws and courtroom experience to protect our clients’ interests.
The Woods Lonergan Difference
We are keenly aware that business disputes can be an unnecessary distraction as well as a drain on profits, which is why we work to resolve disputes through pretrial settlements. But we are always prepared to litigate to achieve the best possible outcome.
We set ourselves apart from other business litigation practices:
- A Strategic Approach – We are persistent and aggressive in pursuing your objectives, yet level-headed throughout the litigation process. In our experience, a measured and calculated approach yields the best results, whether through verdict or settlement.
- Trial Expertise – We have a team of seasoned litigators. Our attorneys have thousands of hours of courtroom experience. We have taken many cases to trial, and we know what it takes to present a case effectively at trial.
- Our Experience and Reputation – We have a well-earned reputation in the courtroom to fight to the finish if needed, and we use that reputation of being prepared and willing to try the most difficult cases to verdict as a means of securing a favorable outcome short of trial.
- Cost Effective –No other firm offers more cost-effective representation of clients with business disputes or commercial litigation. As a result of our size and leaner structure, we can provide clients with a more reasonable billing structure.
- Frequent Client Communication – We strive to keep you fully informed as to the status of your case. This enables us, with your collaboration, to continually refine the strategy as the matter proceeds. This is both efficient and cost effective. You can expect regular phone calls and emails from our office.
How Woods Lonergan PLLC Can Help
Our attorneys will provide you with trustworthy advice and cost-effective service, always mindful of your budget. Given the time and expense of a protracted court battle, we often recommend pursuing alternative dispute resolution methods, such as mediation and arbitration. Not only have most real estate contracts begun to customarily include a mandatory arbitration clause, but the ever-changing nature of land use ordinances incentivizes swift resolution of real property disputes for sellers and owners.
We regularly handle complex multi-party claims in arbitration, mediation, and dispute review boards, including with the American Arbitration Association. Our attorneys are well-versed in the rules and procedures governing these proceedings and have a proven history of achieving positive outcomes. When necessary, we are fully prepared to litigate any real estate dispute and will provide you with aggressive representation.
Our experience handling real estate transactions gives us a distinct advantage at the bargaining table and in the courtroom. From transaction disputes to title issues, to boundary issues and beyond, we provide our clients with powerful representation when they need it most.
Contact Our Dedicated New York City Real Estate Litigation Attorneys
At Woods Lonergan PLLC, we are highly regarded for adhering to the highest ethical standards, protecting our clients’ interests, and helping them navigate their most pressing challenges. When you become our client, our real estate litigation attorneys will guide you every step of the way. Contact our office today to set up an appointment.
Woods Lonergan PLLC helps clients with real estate litigation throughout NYC including the boroughs of Manhattan and Brooklyn.