Woods Lonergan PLLC represents both prominent insurance carriers and brokerages throughout the Greater New York area as well as companies or individuals making insurance claims pertaining to liability and defense coverage. From first-party coverage disputes to bad faith claims, we are the experienced choice in insurance litigation and defense.
Well-versed in applicable insurance laws, we have considerable experience handling insurance disputes involving:
- Business owner policies;
- Commercial property insurance;
- General liability insurance; and
- Business interruption insurance.
When you become our client, you will have confidence being supported by our accomplished New York insurance litigation attorneys. Contact our office today to set up a consultation.
New York City Insurance Litigation and Defense Attorneys
Our insurance defense attorneys routinely represent major insurance companies, small and mid-size insurers, and self-insured organizations on matters such as:
- First-party coverage litigation;
- Premises liability;
- Environmental and toxic tort claims;
- Professional liability;
- Director and officer (D&O) liability;
- Motor vehicle claims;
- Employment practices litigation; and
- Indemnification and defense litigation.
Our legal team has the skills and experience to resolve both small and large insurance disputes, as well as complex multi-carrier litigation involving additional insureds, excess insurers, reinsurers, and reimbursement carriers.
At Woods Law, we design aggressive and innovative defense strategies and work to help clients prevail in dispositive pretrial motions and settlements. When litigation becomes necessary, our trial-ready preparedness can help achieve the best possible outcome.
Key Legal Challenges for NYC Insurance Companies in Litigation
Over our many years of practice, we have often been called upon to represent insurance carriers on matters such as coverage disputes and fraud:
- Coverage Disputes — Our insurance defense attorneys work with clients to review policy language and verify whether it complies with applicable laws and regulations. Our attorneys are also experienced with defending insurers against claims that are not covered.
- Fraud — Insurance fraud in New York City is commonplace, particularly involving property and casualty claims. Fraudulent insurance claims cause losses for insurance carriers, which are ultimately paid by policyholders in the form of higher premiums.
Defending Insurance Bad Faith Claims
Most insurance carriers fulfill their legal obligation to process claims in good faith according to the terms of the policy. However, bad faith claims may be to blame when policyholders receive a claim denial or a settlement offer they consider too low.
Our insurance defense attorneys have successfully defended many clients against a wide range of breach of contract and bad faith claims, including:
- Attempting to settle a claim for less than its full value;
- Delaying, discounting, or denying a claim without a valid reason;
- Failing to thoroughly investigate an insurance claim;
- Failing to conduct a timely and accurate appraisal;
- Failing to pay or deny a claim within a reasonable period of time;
- Misrepresenting the terms of a policy; and
- Withholding relevant information from the policyholder.
We work to resolve bad faith claims through negotiated settlements to avoid costly litigation. Our legal team also works proactively with insurers to ensure that their policies and claims procedures adhere to applicable law. To ensure the best outcomes for our clients, our attorneys are always prepared for trial and alternative dispute resolution.
Why Insurers Choose Woods Lonergan PLLC
Our insurance defense group has an impeccable reputation for providing our clients with the highest standards of professional excellence. Our attorneys are skilled negotiators and litigators, well-prepared to handle claims arising from contractual and extra-contractual liability. We provide our clients with innovative, cost-effective solutions and work to provide them with a clear understanding of their potential exposures and available legal options.
Our attorneys’ experiences and insight with issues such as indemnity and additional insured obligations are key factors in the outcome of mediated and negotiated settlements. Our attorneys work to assess risk transfer for our clients, as well as the implication of applicable anti-indemnity laws.
Our attorneys have successfully litigated numerous claims involving a variety of coverage issues ranging from initial claims to trial and any necessary appeals. Our highly trained legal team also has substantial insurance coverage training, which means that our firm is equipped to efficiently manage large and small insurance matters.
We make every effort to negotiate settlements through mediation, standstill, and cost-sharing agreements. When insurance disputes require litigation, our attorneys have the experience and resources to vigorously represent our clients’ interests regardless of the size or complexity of the case.
Contact Our New York Insurance Litigation Attorneys
Woods Lonergan PLLC’s proven history of protecting our clients’ interests in and out of the courtroom helps us provide informed representation on insurance matters and effectively avoid or defend insurance litigation. Contact our office today to set up an appointment.
Woods Lonergan PLLC helps clients with insurance litigation and defense throughout NYC including the boroughs of Manhattan and Brooklyn.